Saturday, October 13, 2012

October 13, 2012
This one is for my Mom


 One year ago the doctors told her she didn't have a lot of time. When I got to Florida in the spring, we did our annual shopping spree. She loves Saks and she bought several  beautiful dresses, as always. This year however she debated on a gorgeous gold dress. "It's for New Years Eve and I might not make it that long" she said.  I told her how stunning she looked in it and if she liked it she should just "get it". "Okay" she said, "I'll do it, even if we're in Iowa and I have to wear it to the Pizza Ranch, I'm wearing it!" And she will, even if she is in Iowa amidst all the farmers in their jeans and overalls, my mom will stand out in her beautiful gold gown, which is so much more than a gown, it is the symbol of her spirit, courage and belief.

The quote from Mary Oliver says it so poignantly, "Tell me, what do you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"

Good question for the beginning of a new year. Good question actually anytime.

No comments:

Post a Comment