Saturday, January 4, 2014

May 2014 Calendar Stories

Bluebettes and Happiness


This is what I would call my classic style artwork. Happy little creatures with rosy cheeks wearing outfits, in this case bikini's, doing a human activity. I usually sit and start sketching, this piece started with a bluebird sitting on a branch. Then I sketched her again and added a hat and a purse. I thought the branch was to prosaic so tried again on the edge of a birdbath, and Boom! A whole new scene popped into my head, instead of a purse a beach bag and a bikini and her little swimming bluebettes (hey, I just made that word up and I LOVE it, I am going to keep bluebettes in my repertoire and change the title of this piece). This is always my process and it is hard to start facing the blank page (usually without a thought other than one word or a season--in this case the word was "Spring") and then it evolves into a great little fantasy for me and hopefully you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment