Sunday, January 1, 2012

Day 258

New Year's Resolutions

Everyday Art 2012

I am thinking about my New Year Resolutions, and I think this year has to be about taking Glorious Risks. To live a big and glorious life, this year isn't about petty dieting, organizing, cleaning, or for that matter list making. But what exactly are Glorious Risks? Maybe it's about saying Yes way more often than I say No, and doing the Scary Thing.


I don't think you can see this very well, I will post the text. The first line is from my friend Terri's facebook post which made me rethink my plan. "Tell me, what do you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver. And even though I said this year isn't about list making it's nice to have a visual reminder. If a picture is worth a thousand words then I figure I have about a 50 thousand word resolution, that I am going to frame and look at everyday.

I made my life all about art, something I can get inspired about, hence the title Everyday Art 2012. The first category is for my heart (mostly because I couldn't figure out how to draw my soul). Painting everyday it is like coffee, got to have it, got to do it. But it is not enough I want more, I want shows, I want to get published, I want to experience the full circle, stopping at the point before I cut off my ear.

The second category is for my body. Which might be strange to put in everyday art, but we are all beautiful works of art, and I for one am going to appreciate the wonderful work of art I have been given. (In the original drawing I had drawn myself with my cutely hands covering certain parts, and after I read Terri's post, I thought, no, that is not a glorious way to live, so I made myself open and joyful instead).

The third category is for my eyes. Three years ago I was going to change my red living room to pink. I ended up priming the walls and putting up swatches of color around the entire room and finally giving up and just painting it Benny Moore LInen White. Which is fine, except I have been burning to find that "look" I want. I believe that your surrounding contribute to your mood and life tremendously and you should love the space you live in. Your house, your garden, your laundry room shelves all have potential to be artful. What if I took the time to do that for myself? How would my life change? This year I am going to take a risk and hope it turns out glorious, and if it goes terribly awry, well, I will post it and we can all have a good laugh.

The last category is for my mom and dad. This area trumps every other area. Bottom line, my mom has melonoma in lungs and the doctors at Mayo Clinic
haven't given her very long. Even though we as a family are doing everything we can along with searching out
alternative
treatments. We all have this one wild and precious life, and what am I going to do with mine? I must make this the best year ever and make everyday
count. Say YES more than I say no. Take the Glorious Risks.

The end is a statement I have loved for years and kept on my desk at work. "And the day came when the risk to remain in tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." Anias Nin

Wishing you all a Gloriously Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment