Saturday, January 14, 2012

Day 278

Improbable Me

AKA

Flat Chested Stick Girl


The June 1977 issue of Seventeen Magazine impacted my thoughts about my body forever. For one snapshot, one day, one moment in time, the pretty girls were flat chested (no bigger than a 32B said the magazine, and they showed a picture of Jayne Modean, who has probably had a boob job since then) and had the bodies of 12 year old boys, sans hair. That was not to be my future, no matter how desperately I wanted it. By the time I was a junior in high school I was a 32 (yay!) but the problem was I was a DD (which would be quite popular now, actually it was quite popular then, I just couldn't see it that way). So the whole stick thing was out. But it was never out of my mind, it was what I always aspired to and failed at miserably.

Of course today, I am just like the rest of the normal American woman population, and have body issues. What is wrong with all of us women that we can't just be who we are and love ourselves for it? Even Oprah, Queen of it all, can't get over the "image" we created for ourselves. Oh well, that is as deep as I go. That article shaped my view forever, end of story. But I sometimes wonder how I would have turned out if I wouldn't have started looking at magazines until Victoria's Secret became popular.

January 14, 2012

1 comment:

  1. So cute! I say that about everything you paint…but it's pretty much the truth. I always wonder about that stick figure thing, too. I was stick-ish in 6th grade...

    ReplyDelete